SBDC Amarillo register business

Ready to start your own business? Great! Once you have a good idea about what you want for your business, contact us at 817-573-7681 and set up an appointment with one of our trained consultants. This initial appointment should last approximately an hour and will cover all important aspects involved with opening a new business. We will follow up with you after this initial meeting to ensure that we answered any questions that you may have and schedule another appointment to help you with the next steps of opening your business. We will provide you with all of the help that we can in order to help your business become a success!

Register Business

What is a DBA?

The SBDC can help you file an Assumed Name Certificate, also known as a “DBA” (Doing Business As) anywhere in Texas. Please call  one of our offices (Granbury 817-573-7681 or Brownwood 325-646-7299) during regular office hours if you need assistance or explanation.

Who Needs to File a DBA?

If your business operates as a sole proprietorship or a general partnership, you should file an “Assumed Name Certificate”, also known as a DBA (stands for “doing business as”), for each name the business uses in commerce.  The form is filed with the county clerk in each county where a business premise is maintained. If no business premise is maintained, it should be filed in each county where business will be conducted.

If your business operates as a corporation, limited partnership, or limited liability company and operates under a name other than the name on file with the Secretary of State, an Assumed Name Certificate must be filed with the Secretary of State and each county in which the business will have a registered or principal office.

Please Note – Neither the filing of an Assumed Name Certificate nor the reservation or registration of a company name imparts any real protection to the party filing the certificate. It is merely a formal process that informs the general public of the registered agent for a business and where official contact with the business can be made.  In case of a name dispute, it can be used as legal evidence in litigation.

Basic Steps for Filing a DBA:

  1. Determine what form of business you have.
  2. Fill out the appropriate form(s).
  3. Have the signature(s) notarized.
  4. Submit the form with payment to the appropriate authority, by mail or in person.

Erath County Clerk

100 W Washington St
Stephenville, TX 76401

Brownwood County Clerk

200 S Broadway St Suite 101
Brownwood, TX 76801

For other counties in Texas, give us a call at (817)573-7681

Name Searches

While not required, it is in your best interest to conduct a search to see if anyone else is already using the name you want to use.

State Search – For state-filed businesses such as Corporations, LLCs, etc.

Contact the Secretary of State to determine if a name you want to register is available.
Note: Online search requires payment of a fee by credit card.

(512) 475-2755 or e-mail

County Search – For business names filed at the county level.

This site contains records for 24 counties, including Potter & Randall. For counties not listed on this site, searches must be completed in-person at the County Clerk’s office. Staff members in the clerks’ offices are prohibited from conducting searches for you.


  1. Click on the link above for County Government
  2. Select “Enter” and register for a free account at the bottom of the page (or log in with an existing account).
  3. Select the county you want to search, you will be on the “Document Search” page.
  4. Deselect the “Search All Documents” checkbox and then select “Assumed Name” from the list below (there are also options for Abandonment and Withdrawal).
  5. Enter the business name in the “Both Names” field, select “Exact Match” and click search. If there is more than one page of results, be sure to look through them all.